Tuesday, December 29, 2015

One Word: 2016

Last year I gave up resolutions and like many other educators adopted one word that would be my focus for the year. The word I chose and the blog post I wrote about was "INSPIRE". I really wanted to help inspire my students, teachers and staff and I had some help along the way. "Teach Like a Pirate" by Dave Burgess was a great way to start the school year off with an inspiring message for our whole staff on how to bring passion to our students each and every day. I was able to end 2015 by facilitating #MEMSPAchat on the topic of Inspiration thanks to my friend Mike Domagalski By focusing on "Inspiration" I was the beneficiary of being inspired by so many others throughout the year. Funny how what I wanted to provide to others came right back to me.

Choosing my one word for 2016 was not much of a challenge. I knew right away what my word and my focus would be for this year. My word for this year is "Gratitude". I can't put into one post how much gratitude I feel for those who I work with, collaborate with, and learn with. That's fine, because I plan on spending the year doing the best I can expressing how thankful I am to be in a profession where success means changing a child's life for the better and equipping them to fulfill their full potential.

From administrators who challenge my thinking, to teachers who are continually looking for ways to improve, to support staff who come to work everyday to make a difference, I am grateful. For the many educators that I've never met in person, but inspire me through their posts and support on Twitter. For leaders that I see once a year at conferences that share with me what great things they are doing and that can help me help students at our school. For authors like Carol Dweck (Mindset), George Couros (Innovator's Mindset), and Todd Whitaker (What Great Teachers/Principals do Differently) that inspire me with their work, I am grateful. I am a continuous work in progress, but the successes I've had in helping others in education are due to all the people who have inspired, supported, encouraged, and had patience with me. I plan on spending 2016 focusing on showing my gratitude toward those people and living the statement that education is a TEAM effort!
photo credit: miravalresorts.com

PEARLS OF WISDOM

"Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow." - Melody Beattie

"Gratitude is the fairest blossom which springs from the soul." - Henry Ward Beecher

"Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others." - Cicero

Carol Dweck "Developing a Growth Mindset" (9 minutes) 

UPCOMING EVENTS 

Wednesday, January 6: SOTM Assembly (Be Proactive) 3:00 pm
Thursday, January 7: Staff Meeting 8:00 am
                                Elementary Principals Meeting 1:00 pm
                                PTA Executive Meeting 5:30 pm (No general meeting)
Friday, January 8: Title I Principals Meeting 8:00 am
                            Skate Night at Riverside Arena 6:00-8:00 pm

Tuesday, January 12: PBS Committee 8:05 am
Thursday, January 14: Staff Meeting (wsg Chris Pinta) 8:00 am
                                  Sports Science Assembly 9:30 K-2 / 10:30 3rd&4th

Monday, January 18: No School for MLK Day
Thursday, January 21: Staff Meeting (wsg Bridget Regan) 8:00 am

Monday, January 25: Data Dives in LMC
Wednesday, January 27: Star Wars/Youth Making a Difference Assembly 3:00 pm
Friday, January 29: Teacher Work Day (Optional report day)






4 comments:

  1. Jon, I'm so grateful to you and what you do! Gratitude is a word that infiltrates so many others... I expect that you will reap many rewards (I know that's not what you're looking for by practicing gratitude, but I believe you are going to find so much joy!) with your one word for 2016. I'm so glad we are connected through the Compelled Tribe!
    Happy New Year!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer!! I'm so grateful to you and Craig as well for reaching out to me and inviting me to be a part of the #CompelledTribe! It's been a tremendous learning experience:)I hope your 2016 is awesome!

      Jon

      Delete
  2. I love the word-Grateful- and am truly grateful for how you've blessed my life! Thank you for "being in my corner"! You are an inspiration and light!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend!! Your energy is inspiring too:) Keep up your great work in 2016!

      Delete