Sunday, November 15, 2015

Symbols

Anyone who has stepped foot in my office knows that I'm a big Superman fan. But what you may not know is that most of those items are gifts from students and staff over the past 20 years. The entire collection that is in my workplace started from a single superman poster that I hung in my classroom in 1995. That poster still is in my office today. The truth is that I really wanted a symbol or persona that the students could look to with excitement and optimism. I found that when I went out to greet parents at the start of a school day with my Superman coffee mug, they would instantly say, "hello super principal" or something like that.  They connected with that symbol and it was a positive connection. The same thing happens with students in my office when they make that positive connection with a "hero" they already know and I pick up the persona of one who is trying to help.

So much of our lives and perceptions are impacted by symbols. The United States flag that is displayed in my office symbolizes the freedoms and values of our country. The ring I wear on my finger is a symbol of fidelity. The spirit wear that I wear on Fridays shows my pride for my building and district. On social media, I make sure that my posts reflect a positive attitude, a love of my family, and things that I hope will inspire others. Most importantly, I try to always display a smile.  A simple smile can put people at ease, create a welcoming environment, and hopefully spark a smile in someone else.

As educators, it's important to be conscious of the symbols or image that we present to others. More importantly, do we live out the image we are trying to present?  Although I'm more Clark Kent than Superman, I can still strive each day to be a child's hero and be a positive role model for my students and school community. What images do you project while at school, on social media, or in the community? Is it an ideal that you strive toward or is it a work in progress?  Perception is often reality, so let's work toward giving our students the best perception possible!

The poster that has been displayed in my classroom/office since 1995

PEARLS OF WISDOM FROM OUR GSRP PRESCHOOL STUDENTS
Answers to the Question, "What is Family?" 
"Families stick together and always live with you"

"Hugging"

"When you get stinged by 100 bees they take you to the hospital. When you want to lay down they always put the TV on." 
Christopher Reeve at the Oscars...a real life Superman (3 minutes)

UPCOMING EVENTS

Tuesday, November 17: Elementary Principals at Wayne-RESA 7:30-10:00 am
                                      PBS Committee Meeting 8:05 am 
Wednesday, November 18: IEP Limberg/Boggs 8:20 am
                                             Admin Team to Wyndotte Schools for Instructional Rounds 12:00-4:00 
                                             PTSA at Franklin High School 6:30-8:00 pm
Thursday, November 19: Staff Meeting 8:00 am
                                         Elementary Principals Meeting 1:00-4:00 pm
Friday, November 20: Goodfellow's Canned Food Donation $2 or 2 Canned Items = Bag of Popcorn
                                     Math Club review meeting with 3rd/4th Teachers and Title I Paras 8:20 am

Monday, November 23: 2nd Grade Thanksgiving Feast (Lunch in the classrooms)
                                       Lifetouch Picture Retakes in the afternoon
                                       Sheila Alles building visit 2:00-4:00 pm
Wednesday, November 25: Thanksgiving Break starts 

Monday, November 30: School resumes
                                       Student of the Month Assembly (Safety) 3:00 pm
Wednesday, December 2 - Friday, December 4: Jon in Kalamazoo for MEMSPA conference (Rob Witherspoon will be on call administrator)

No comments:

Post a Comment