Sunday, November 22, 2015

Unsung Heroes

I traditionally write a post about things I am thankful for during the week of Thanksgiving and this year will be no exception.  I'm continually grateful for my family, but I wanted to focus this post on things that I'm grateful for at work. Each day, I overhear a conversation, see an interaction, or learn something from one of my students or staff that inspires me. There are so many moments that stick in my memory where I think, "They don't think anyone is watching, yet they are going out of their way to help a child or do a little extra." The thing is, I do notice many of the little things, the extra efforts, the personal touch that staff members give to their jobs and that's why I love working with educators.

To be honest, I feel that I'm well compensated when I stay late or have to deal with a difficult situation...that's my job.  I also feel that I often get to stand in the spotlight for the great things that happen at our school. It's the people that aren't well compensated and don't get the recognition that amaze me.  Here are just some of the "little" things that I see happen on a regular basis in school.  Preschool teachers who stay for a 12 hour day to make a PTA meeting so they can connect with new families. A custodian who isn't satisfied until the very last leaf is raked away from the school. A secretary who brings in handmade holiday crafts to make the office feel like home. Teachers who give hugs, wipe noses, and wipe away the tears when a student is sad and can't say why. A bus driver who makes an extra run to assist a parent dealing with cancer. Staff who counsel parents and share their own stories to ease someone's pain. Teachers who miss their own children's events and stay late and come in early so they can make a child's day better.  Staff members and parent volunteers who spend their own money at the store to buy school supplies or an extra pair of clothes for a child in need.  I could go on and on describing things I see educators do on a daily basis when they think no one is watching to help the life of a child.

I have yet to meet a person who works in the school system who got in it for the money. They do what they do because they have a passion for helping others and a desire to make the world a better place. As educators, it can be challenging to keep up the energy needed to engage students each day and it may seem that many times the work you do, the extra work you do, goes unnoticed by others. The truth is that many times it may not be seen by someone else, but it is never unnoticed. While I don't know all the great things teachers do for students each day, the students do notice. They may not say thank you and they may not even know it at the time, but those little things make a positive difference in their lives.  So for all the unseen things that educators do for students and for all the unsung heroes in education...I am thankful for you!

Photo Credit: www.inman.com

PEARLS OF WISDOM

"Every act of compassion makes a difference." - Robert Silverstein

"The world is moved not only by the mighty shoves of the heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker." - Helen Keller

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." - Christopher Reeve

Inspiring Video (3 minutes)

UPCOMING EVENTS

Monday, November 23: Picture retakes in the afternoon
                                      2nd Grade Feast in gym (lunch in the classrooms)
                                      New Family tour at 1:00 pm
                                       Building visit by Sheila Alles 2:00-4:00 pm
Tuesday, November 24: Parent Meeting Wennstrom/Robison 8:30 am
Wednesday, November 25: No School (start of Thanksgiving break)

Monday, November 30: School resumes
                                      Student of the Month Assembly for Safety 3:00 pm
Wednesday, December 2-Friday, December 4: Jon in Kalamazoo for MEMSPA conference (Rob Witherspoon on call for building)

Wednesday, December 9: 504 Meeting Limberg/Boggs 8:20 am

Wednesday, December 16: Santa Secret Shop
Thursday, December 17: Santa Secret Shop
Friday, December 18: Skate Night at Riverside Arena 6:00-8:00 pm






No comments:

Post a Comment