Friday, February 17, 2017

Taking the Plunge

For the past several years, I have had friends who participated in the Polar Plunge and I kept saying next time. This year, finally became the next time! For those who are not familiar with the Polar Plunge, it's a fundraiser for the Special Olympics. Nearly 20 locations across the state have Polar Plunge events in January and February and at all locations, participants dress in crazy costumes and plunge into freezing water for a good cause. For those who have volunteered or participated in Special Olympics, you know what an incredible experience it is.

Years ago, I was approached by the local Rotary Club in Cadillac to join their team of volunteers. I joined because I thought it would be a good way to connect with community leaders, I stayed because it opened my eyes to the many ways I could serve the community and world. Since, Rotary is an international organization, I was able to join the Livonia Club when I relocated here. Once again, I was not only connected to community leaders, but was exposed to numerous opportunities to serve. From water wells in Haiti, to Polio eradication in Africa, to Meals on Wheels and Polar Plunges in Detroit, Rotary has been a vehicle to think global and act local.

As educators, we have chosen a profession to help make the world a better place. We spend our days working with students to help make their dreams come true and spend our evenings planning new ways to engage and empower students. We are not just creating good students, we are creating good people. One of the best ways we can do that is by setting a good example. With every volunteer or service project I've participated in, I have found that I've always gotten back more than I've given. From a full heart to meeting incredible people, I always walk away inspired and filled with hope. Those experiences have helped me grow as an educator and as a person. So the next time someone asks you to volunteer for a good cause, go ahead and take the plunge!

DETROIT POLAR PLUNGE 2017

PEARLS OF WISDOM

"Life's most persistent and urgent question is 'What are you doing for others?'" - Martin Luther King Jr. 

"When you're in a position to have gotten so much, the gift at this point is giving back." - Paul Stanley

"Kindness is my religion." - Dalai Lama 

GREAT EDUCATORS TO FOLLOW ON TWITTER





Michelle Corbat










Shelley Burgess







UPCOMING EVENTS 

Monday, February 20: No School for President's Day
Wednesday, February 22: IEP Nadon 2:30 pm
Thursday, February 23: Staff Meeting 8:05 am
                                      Elementary Principals Meeting 1:00-4:30 pm

Monday, February 27: Student of the Month & March is Reading Month Kick Off Assembly 9:05 am
Tuesday, February 28: PBIS Committee Meeting 8:05 am
                                     REED Fuller 2:30 pm
                                     District School Improvement Committee 5:30-8:00 pm
Wednesday, March 1: Achievement Team 8:20 am
                                   Students dismissed at 12:10 pm / Professional Development in the afternoon
Friday, March 3: Jon at MEMSPA Board Meeting / Sandi Benson covering office

Friday, March 10: Students dismissed at 12:10 pm / Teacher work day in afternoon

No comments:

Post a Comment