Wednesday, March 11, 2015

The Silver Scepter

At my daughter's recent band concert, I was reminded of a special concert I performed in during my seventh grade year.  I was in percussion and for the first time ever, I got to be the first chair and play the drum solo.  The song I played was the Silver Scepter and I remember that concert vividly.  I was so nervous and I even got to start the concert with the drum intro.  It turned out to be the only concert I played first chair in, but the memory has lasted all these years.  To this day, I still have that drum routine in my head and sometimes still tap out the rhythm with my fingers.

It's funny, because that concert was not a turning point in my life and was just one of many performances that I was in.  I sometimes laugh that I still remember the song at all.  It was just one of those random moments that has stuck with me.  I bring this us up, because as an educator, I often wonder what random moments will stick with our students.  Will it be a time when they were in my office and read an inspirational quote that will stay with them for the rest of their lives?  Will it be the kind act of a teacher asking them how their weekend was?  So many "insignificant" things during the school day may be something that will last a lifetime in a child's memory.

I bet you have some random event or activity from your childhood that has stuck with you throughout the years.  I hope it is a happy one.  As educators, we need to be aware that the words we say, the environment we create, and the opportunities we give our students can have a lasting impact on them for years to come.  Make them positive impacts and take the time to savor those little moments!

photo credit: dancecheer.net

PEARLS OF WISDOM

"It's the little details that are vital. Little things make big things happen." - John Wooden

"It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important." - Arthur Conan Doyle

"True greatness consists in being great in little things." - Charles Simmons

Funny Video (1 minute:) 

UPCOMING EVENTS 

Tuesday, March 17:  1:00-4:00 District OSS Meeting (Jon and Sherry Lynn)
Wednesday, March 18: 8:10 am Kindergarten Team Meeting with Jon and Denise
                                      4:00 pm Parent Meeting (Nadon)
Thursday, March 19: 8:00 am Staff Meeting (in the computer lab)
                                  1:00 pm Elementary Principal Meeting

Tuesday, March 24: 8:05 PBS Committee Meeting
                                 Spring Pictures
Wednesday, March 25: 8:00 REED (Benson)
                                      10:00-11:00 am Magic of Books Assembly (All School)
Thursday, March 26: 8:00 am Grade Level Team Meetings (in lieu of staff meeting)
                                   Jon to Johnson for Program Assessment Training 8:30-11:30 am
                                   3:00 pm SOTM Assembly (Think Win-Win)
                                   6:00-8:00 pm Rosedale Skate Night at Riverside Arena
Friday, March 27: No Students (Teacher Work Day)
                                  



No comments:

Post a Comment