Friday, June 12, 2015

Gratitude

Through the years, I've experienced a lot of retirement celebrations. Some as a teacher and many as a principal.  Friends who have been teaching partners, coaching partners, or principal partners who have spent a career of helping students and are ready to enjoy a well earned break.  In talking with them as they prepare to begin new adventures, I often hear one recurring theme...gratitude.  Time and again, I hear expressions of gratitude about those who mentored them early in their careers, about teaching partners who helped them develop their craft, about colleagues and friends who helped them through the rough times and celebrated with them in the good times.  The saying, "It takes a village" is so true in the field of education.  We can't make it alone and we certainly don't grow without help from others.  Isolation just doesn't work in education!

As I hear from those retiring how grateful they are to those who helped them grow, I often think, I hope they realize how much they've helped others grow along their journey.  There hasn't been a single retiree that I've worked with that hasn't taught me something I didn't know or some new way of helping students.  No one stays in this profession for that length of time without a heart for service and a desire to help others.  So, as I reflect on those that I have worked with through my career that have recently retired or long since retired, I want to follow their example and say "Thank You" to them all for what they have done for students and all they have taught me.  Much of what I know about education came from those I have worked with through the years and are no longer here.  They may not be in the classroom anymore, but they certainly are still impacting lives through the example they provided and the legacy they left with those they worked with.  I guess in a sense, good educators never leave the school after all!

Whether taking a permanent vacation or just a few months off, I hope you all have a wonderful summer!  


PEARLS OF WISDOM

"Sit back and relax and do the things you never got a chance to do." - Julie Herbert

"Retire from work, but not from life." - M.K. Soni

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill 

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year (for Teachers:)
I think you'll get a kick out of this short video

UPCOMING EVENTS

Summer Vacation!!

August 31: Building Professional Development
September 1: District Professional Development
September 2: District Professional Development
September 3: Teacher Workday 

September 8: First Day for Students
September 15: Open House 6:00-7:00 & Curriculum Night 7:00-8:00

photocredit: finance.yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment