Friday, February 12, 2016

brown paper bag

As we celebrate Valentine's Day, I am reminded of my own elementary school parties as a child. I remember the excitement of picking out just the right type of valentines (usually Star Wars) and then writing out a card for each person in my class. Most were just "To and From" but a few had a special message or a smiley face. Each card had to be perfect so that it didn't say too much, but might also convey a message to a cute girl in the class. Each year, the teachers in my elementary school would give each child a brown paper lunch bag and we would write our names on it. We would then set them on our desk and all students would walk around the room and drop our valentines into the appropriate bag. When we returned to our desk, our bag was filled with cards and then began the exciting task of reading through them. Now, I know all the teachers reading this are asking, "What about the child who didn't have any?". The teachers always kept a few packets of extra valentines with them and allowed students to fill them out at school early that morning. It seems teachers have always made sure one way or the other that all students are taken care of even if that means spending their own time and money.

The great thing about this holiday was that everybody got something from everyone. It's amazing how a simple card or note can make someone feel special. Even if it simply says "To and From". As I was helping students on to the bus at the end of the week, I saw several students with their Valentine boxes and bags and proudly carrying them home. They probably were eager to look through them in more detail when they got home like I used to. As we get older, the romantic aspect is emphasized more, but in elementary school, it's still more a chance to say "Hi there" or "I like you".  That's still a good thing to practice as adults.

As educators, it's easy to look at holiday parties like Valentine's Day as lost instruction time. However, when I think back to the joy I used to get from that little brown bag filled with simple notes, I think it's still time well spent. I hope you have a happy Valentine's Day and I hope that you get a little note, even if it just says "Hi" or "I'm thinking of you". Better yet, send one to someone else. The feeling will be just as good and will have twice the impact!


PEARLS OF WISDOM

"We are most alive when we're in love." - John Updike

"I know of only one duty and that is to love." - Albert Camus

"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt." - Charles Schulz

10 Funniest Test Answers (3 minutes)

UPCOMING EVENTS

Monday, February 15: No School
Tuesday, February 16: PD at St. Mary's Cultural Center 8:00-11:00 am and PD at Rosedale 12:30-3:30 pm
Wednesday, February 17: Jon on Conference Call 8:00-9:00 am
                                          Pizza Kit Order Forms go home
Thursday, February 18: Staff Meeting 8:00 am
                                      Classroom Votes for Poster Winners
Friday, February 19: School Wide Vote for "First Things First" Poster Winner

Tuesday, February 23: 100th Day of School (100 Ties will be on display in my office)
Wednesday, February 24: IEP (Sherry Lynn/Shannon)
                                          Lock Down Drill in the morning
                                          REED (Sherry Lynn/Shannon) 2:30 pm
                                          PTSA Founder's Day Dinner at Schoolcraft College 
Thursday, February 25: Staff Meeting with Andrea 8:00 am






No comments:

Post a Comment