Thursday, November 3, 2016

Leader vs Learner

Recently I finished a leadership course and in one of our final sessions I was asked the question, "What significant change has occurred as a result of this course?". After reflecting for a while, I realized the biggest change had been in my perception of myself. I went into the class thinking of myself as an educational leader, but I left the class thinking of myself as a learner. As soon as I said the words, I actually felt like a weight had been lifted.

I once shared that an elementary principal had told me that good leaders take their job seriously, but not themselves seriously. Thinking of yourself as a "leader" sounds like serious business. Thinking of yourself as a learner takes a lot of weight off the shoulders and feels more humble. Leader makes it sound like you need to know everything, Learner makes it sound like there is room to grow. Leader shows others the way, Learner is still looking for the best way to go. Now, being a learner doesn't exclude one from being a leader. In fact, the best leaders (in m opinion) ARE learners. That's the type of leader I want to be.

As educators, our view of ourselves is very important. We behave the way we see ourselves and the way we want others to see us. Being a leader is a great role, but it's a role. Being a learner is a way of living and a way of doing things. Don't strive to be a leader who learns, but be a learner who also leads. Coming to this realization has changed the way I view myself and it feels pretty good! What is your perception of yourself? Does it match a role that you have or the way you live your life? Are you a leader or a learner?
photo credit: Tom Hussy

PEARLS OF WISDOM

"Learning never exhausts the mind." Leonardo da Vinci

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it." - Pablo Picasso

"I am still learning." - Michelangelo, age 87

Brad Meltzer - Thank your teacher! 

UPCOMING EVENTS

Monday, November 7: Principals Advisory Committee 8:20 am (Debbie's Room)
                                     Celebrate Monday Assembly 9:05 am
Tuesday, November 8: District PD in AM (Priority Project)
                                     Building PD in PM (5D Self Assessment)
Wednesday, November 9: Achievement Team Meeting 8:20 am (Nadon)
                                         Jon to ABC meeting 1:30 pm at Central Office
Thursday, November 10: Staff Meeting 8:05 am (Katie Dodge-Snap&Read)

Monday, November 14: Celebrate Monday Assembly 9:05 am
Wednesday, November 15: Wayne-Resa meeting with prinicpals 7:30-9:30 am
Thursday, November 17: Collaborative Learning Time 7:50 am
                                         Elementary Principals Meeting 1:30-4:30 pm

Monday, November 21: Celebrate Monday Assembly 9:05 am
                                       All Administrative Meeting 1:30 pm
Wednesday, November 23: No School
Thursday, November 24: No School HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!
Friday, November 25: No School


GREAT EDUCATORS TO FOLLOW ON TWITTER






Todd Nesloney












Adam Welcome


No comments:

Post a Comment