Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Letters from Kimanzi

Several years ago, I was listening to the radio station as I was driving around for some last minute Christmas shopping. The radio host was asking for listeners to sponsor a child through Compassion International. The cost to sponsor a child was $40 a month and I remember the host saying that if people weren't sponsoring a child they really needed to do so and that if they were sponsoring a child that they should sponsor a second child. I remember thinking how bold that was to ask people who were already giving to give more. I then realized that I was judging someone for asking "too much" when I wasn't giving anything at all. I thought about the presents that I was buying and also that the night before I had taken my daughters out for dinner for the same price that it cost to sponsor a child for a month. I was embarrassed of myself.

That evening I went on the computer and signed up to sponsor a child. I purposely chose an older child, because I knew they were less likely to be sponsored. After watching a video about the sponsorship program, I was a little teary-eyed and feeling more guilty than ever for not doing this sooner. I sponsored a child named Kimanzi from a rural village in Kenya. The next month, we received a hand written letter from him and it made a big impact on my daughters to receive a message from him. It prompted them to write one back and ask a lot of questions. We receive two or three letters from Kimanzi each year and it's been moving to watch him as he grows.

The letters from Kimanzi have been a powerful learning tool for our family. They have helped us keep our "problems" in perspective. They have helped us count our blessings. They have shown us that everyone can help in some small way. I often wonder if Kimanzi has any idea how much he has taught his American family. As we enter the holiday season, I will keep in mind the lessons I have learned from Kimanzi's letters and remember to count my many blessings!

Kimanzi 

Hallelujah (3 minutes) 

PEARLS OF WISDOM

"The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings." - Eric Hoffer

"When I started counting my blessings, my whole life turned around." - Willie Nelson 

"Good health and good sense are two of life's greatest blessings." - Publilius Syrus 


GREAT EDUCATORS TO FOLLOW ON TWITTER





Beth Houf












Jay Billy






UPCOMING EVENTS

Monday, January 9: School Resumes
                                 Celebrate Monday (and 2017) Assembly at 9:05 am
Wednesday, January 11: Principal Advisory/School Improvement Team 8:15 am
                                       Elementary Principals to Roosevelt for Evaluation Meeting 9:30 am
                                       ABC group 1:30 pm
Thursday, January 12: Staff Meeting 8:05 am
                                    Elementary Principals Meeting 1:30-4:30 pm 
                                    Title I Parent Night 6:00 pm
                                    PTA Meeting 6:30 pm 
Friday, January 13: PTA Popcorn Sales

Monday, January 16: No School - MLK Day!
Thursday, January 19: Collaborative Learning Time 7:50 am

No comments:

Post a Comment