Friday, January 24, 2014

Making Connections

As educators, we all know the importance of students making connections between their learning and real-world applications.  We help guide them to find the links from theory to practice.  Students make learning connections all the time.  But, we also need to remember the importance of making a personal connection with students. Research shows us that student learn more effectively when they feel a connection with their teacher. In high school, the connections I had with some teachers ignited a love of learning that caused me to choose teaching as a profession. I'm sure the connections that you make with students on a daily basis will help guide their choices and where they go in life.

When I think of making connections with students, some of the first things that come to mind are shared interests or shared experiences.  The more we share of ourselves, the greater the likelihood we will make a connection with someone else.  I was reminded of this a few years ago, when a student had been sent to my office and asked why I liked Superman.  I talked about how Superman spent his life helping people and in a small way, I get to do the same thing by helping kids.  I also said that I identified with Superman, because he and I were both adopted. The child immediately brightened up and said that he was adopted too and had come from Romania when he was a baby. From that day on, we had a connection...something in common from that shared experience.  He still ended up in my office many times, but I saw a little less anger in his eyes when he came in and a belief that we were there to help him.

What stories or interests can you share that might help make a connection with your students?? Is it a love of music, a desire to travel, an interest in reading??  My bet is that the stories you share and the interests you have will spark a connection with a student and maybe help change a life for the better.

PEARLS OF WISDOM

"A good teacher can inspire hope, ignite the imagination, and instill a love of learning." - Brad Henry
"Every child should have a caring adult in their lives. And that's not always a biological parent or family member. It may be a friend or neighbor. Often times it is a teacher." - Joe Manchin
"Most of us end up with no more than five or six people who remember us. Teachers have thousands of people who remember them for the rest of their lives." - Andy Rooney (Look familiar??:)

NEXT WEEK AT A GLANCE
Monday, January 27: DATA DIVE Meetings in the LMC (Grade Level Teams bring student data)
Tuesday, January 28: School Improvement Committee at 8:15 am
                                 Berrelez Observation 10:00 am
                                 Fuller Observation 11:00 am
                                 Student of the Month Assembly at 3:00 pm
Wednesday, January 29: Jon to Johnson to finish School Improvement Report (am only)
Thursday, January 30: Staff Meeting at 8:00 am (Presentation from Livonia Foundation)
                                   Weakley Observation 10:00 am
Friday, January 31: PTA Popcorn Sale at 2:30 pm
                              Rosedale Skate Night at Riverside 6:00-8:00 (Come risk an injury with me!:)

ADOPTION POEM (Something my mother used to sing as a lullaby)




No comments:

Post a Comment