Friday, January 31, 2014

Schedules

In addition to shoveling my driveway, I feel like I've spent most of this week revising schedules due to the snow days.  Observation schedules have been revamped, committee meetings changed, and extra-curricular activities for my children have been postponed. As I noticed how much discombobulation this caused me (I've always wanted to use that word in a sentence:), I started thinking about our students and how much their lives are effected by changing schedules.  These changes might be from unexpected school closings, but often they just may not have set schedules in their lives outside of school.

Many times when I meet with parents of struggling students, I ask if the child has a designated place and time for doing homework.  Often, I find out that they are not sure when they are getting home from work, who will be supervising, and what or when they will eat (homework is pretty far down the list in those situations).  Knowing how disrupting it can be to my productivity when a schedule changes, I can't imagine not having a schedule at all.  I mentioned it before Christmas break, but this can be one of the reasons why being at school is so important to so many children...it's safe and they know what to expect.  There is a reason why we discuss classroom organization during our observation discussions...it's our chance to provide that structure and consistent schedules for our students.  On behalf of our students, I would like to thank each of you for taking the extra time to plan out your lessons, your days, and your weeks to best meet the needs of all your students!

NEXT WEEK AT A GLANCE

Monday, February 3:  Data Dive Meetings in the LMC (Rotating subs will follow the listed schedule)
                                  Joe will be out (I will cover cafeteria duties)

Tuesday, February 4: School Improvement Committee at 8:15 in the LMC
                                  Fuller Observation 10:00 am
                                  Jon to Leadership Training at the CTC 12:30-4:00
                                  Jon to District School Improvement Team 5:30-7:30 pm Board Office

Wednesday, February 5: Tentative Achievement Team Meeting (Madaus) 8:15 am
                                       Jon and Denise to Central Office for District PBS meeting 1:00-3:30 pm
           
Thursday, February 6: Staff Meeting in the LMC 8:00 am
                                   Elementary Principal Meeting 1:00-4:30 pm
                                   PTA Executive Meeting 6:00 pm
                                   PTA General Meeting at 6:30 pm in the LMC

Friday, February 7: Elementary Principals to Johnson for School Improvement Reports 8:30-10:30 am
                              Daddy Daughter Dance 6:00-8:30 pm in the gym

PEARLS OF WISDOM

"There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full." - Henry Kissinger
"The key is not to prioritize what's on your schedule, but to schedule your priorities." - Stephen Covey
"I've got a hectic schedule, but I wouldn't have my life any other way." - Dominic Monaghan


Something nice to look at instead of the snow outside!!:)




No comments:

Post a Comment