Friday, May 30, 2014

The Importance of Wahooing

Over the weekend, I was checking out of a grocery store wearing my Rosedale staff shirt. The lady at the check-out noticed it and informed me that her cousin was one of my teachers. To my relief, she said she really enjoyed working at my building:)  She then said that it had been a while since they had seen one another and they were long overdue for some "Wahooing". When I asked what Wahooing was, she said it's just like it sounds...going out, having a good time with friends, and just enjoying life (with an occasional shout of "Wahoo!" I would assume:). I kept thinking of that word all weekend and it made me smile every time at the sound of it.  What a fun word!

When I think of someone Wahooing, I usually think of young kids. I bet our students do a lot of Wahooing at common everyday things (recess, having a friend over, losing a tooth, making a team). I think we sometimes lose that excitement as adults. That's one of the great things about working at an elementary school, we get to experience all the joy and excitement with our students over everyday events.  But what a good take away for us.  Do we still shout out "Wahoo!" from time to time?  Do we take joy in our daily lives with our families and in our career and with our friends and coworkers?  I can't speak for every workplace, but I think at our school we do our best to celebrate the great things we do for kids and share in our students' excitement over things.

We all lead busy lives and have deadlines and commitments to meet.  However, when we take the time to have fun, recharge our batteries, and yes, do some "Wahooing", it helps put our daily schedules and routines into perspective. We recently talked about Covey's 7th Habit of Sharpening the Saw.  This sure seems a good way to do that and to celebrate the big things and the little things with our family, friends and students. And if we're wise, we will remember to go "Wahooing" just over life itself!



(Close enough for Wahoo!:)

PEARLS OF WISDOM

"Live life to the fullest, and focus on the positive." - Matt Cameron

"I don't wait for the calendar to figure out when I should live life." - Gene Simmons

"It's not about what you tell your children, but how you show them how to live life." - Jada Pinkett Smith

NEXT WEEK AT A GLANCE

Monday, June 2: 

Tuesday, June 3: 1st Grade to Zoo/4th Grade to Greenfield Village

Wednesday, June 4: Field Day 

Thursday, June 5: 8:00 am Staff Meeting (8:30 Celebration with Joyce)
                              1:00-4:30 Elementary Principals Meeting
                              6:30 PTA meeting

Friday, June 6: Bartnick/Wennstrom working on SIP (AM only)
                        Szurek at web training (All day)

Saturday, June 7: 10:00 - 2:00 pm Voluntary Packing Day

UPCOMING EVENTS

Wednesday, June 11: 4th Grade Party

Thursday, June 12: Final Assembly 10:00-11:00 am
                               4th Grade Clap Out 11:40 am
                             
Friday, June 13: All staff checked out at 3:30 pm

Monday, June 16: Jon and Diane begin work at Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment