Thursday, September 18, 2014

The Missing Letter

This past weekend, I had a keyboard malfunction with my home computer.  It all started when my online banking wouldn't accept my password.  After a lengthy conversation with customer service, I realized my password wasn't typing correctly (hard to notice when the letters are starred out as you type).  After a little more investigating, I found that my letter G was not working.  At first, I tried doing work without it.  It's just one letter I thought.  I'll replace it with the letter q (looks close enough) and I'll fix my documents at work.  Well, I quickly found out it was a disaster and was much more work than I thought.  That one missing letter threw all my work off and made social media and emails nearly impossible.  I even tried to type to someone what the issue was, but had to say I was missing the letter between F and H, because I had no G!

I eventually popped off the key and cleaned the keyboard and replaced it.  It took a few times of doing this, but it has worked (so far).  Now, I'm sure you're enthralled with my story of my missing letter, but it got me thinking.  One letter made such a big difference in my ability to communicate with others and to access information. It got me thinking of how difficult it must be for some of our students (especially our youngest students) who are English Language Learners.  They may be the most fluent English speaker in their home, yet at school they are struggling to understand and to communicate.  Even if they know most of their letters, sounds, and words, it must be frustrating when they can't find that one word that conveys exactly what they want to communicate. I often wonder how many times they remain silent just because they don't know how to say what they understand or what they want.

With nearly 20% of our students qualifying as English Language Learners, I acknowledge and admire the work our teachers do with our students who have limited English.  It's like teaching a keyboarding class with someone who has a missing letter.  The bright side is that eventually that missing letter will be found for these students through patience, hard work, and dedication from the teachers.  It just takes a little longer and a lot more work.  For our teachers and students working to overcome the language barriers, I would like to say thank you, no gracias, no grazie, no merci, no spasibo...well, you get my point:)

PEARLS OF WISDOM:

"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter - 'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning." - Mark Twain


"The right word fitly spoken is a precious rarity." - John Boyle O'Reilly

"Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones." - Solomon

VIDEO WORTH WATCHING:


Obviously this kindergarten student doesn't have a problem finding the right words:)


UPCOMING EVENTS:


Tuesday, September 23: Tornado Drill in the morning
Wednesday, September 24:  IEP - Casucci 8:20 am
                                            Open House 6:00-7:00 pm
                                            Curriculum Night 7:00-8:00 pm (Students in gym for show)
Thursday, September 25: Staff Meeting at 8:00 am
Friday, September 26: SOTM Assembly for Respect 3:00 pm
                                   Rosedale Skate Night 6:00-8:00 pm
Tuesday, September 30: SIC 8:20 am

Wednesday, October 1: PTSA (District) hosted @ Rosedale 6:00-8:30 pm
Thursday, October 2: PTA Meeting 6:30 pm
Friday, October 3: Fun Walk at Churchill track in the afternoon
Monday, October 6: Data Dives in the LMC (Rotating Subs)
Tuesday, October 7: ELA Committee 8:15 am
                                Lifetouch Pictures
Thursday, October 9: No Students/District Professional Development

No comments:

Post a Comment