Thursday, September 11, 2014

The Luckiest Person in the World

This week, I've been busy interviewing candidates for a new teaching position.  For the past several years, I would say the average posting fetches 150-200 candidates. That makes getting an interview pretty tough and getting a job even tougher.  While this is great for our school in getting top-notch candidates, it can be pretty tough when you're sitting on the other side of the table.  No matter how many interviews I do, I still remember that feeling of anticipation for the job.  Also this week, my wife started a full time position after several months of interviews.  When a person gets the job they want, I often see that look on their face that says, "I'm the luckiest person in the world!"

I think all of us had that feeling (and look) when we first started teaching that said, "I'm the luckiest person in the world!".  Come in early and stay late?  Sounds great! Not enough supplies for the room?  I'll buy my own from the store!  30 students in a class? That's okay, I'll get to reach more students this way!  Ah, the first years of teaching.  Through the years, it can be easy to lose that enthusiasm and that optimistic attitude. It can be challenging to gain wisdom and experience, AND still keep that new teacher enthusiasm and attitude.  I've been very fortunate to work with tremendous teachers throughout my career and am so blessed to be a part of this wonderful staff.  It may sound silly, but I'm still grateful each and every day for the chance to work with eager students and dedicated teachers.  I still have that feeling (even on rough days) that "I'm the luckiest person in the world" to have this job.  It's nice to see that look on a person's face when they are hired for a job...but it's even nicer when I see that look on someone who has been doing this for a long time...and could never see themselves doing anything else!

Feeling Lucky!

VIDEO WORTH WATCHING:

Just for Fun:)

PEARLS OF WISDOM

"The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning."
- Mitch Albom


UPCOMING EVENTS

Wednesday, September 17: First Achievement Team Meeting 8:00 am
Thursday, September 18: Staff Meeting at 8:00 am WSG Loretta Zimes
                                       Lock Down Drill in the afternoon
Tuesday, September 23: Tornado Drill in the morning
Wednesday, September 24: Open House 6:00-7:00 pm
                                            Curriculum Night 7:00-8:00 pm (Students in gym for show)
Thursday, September 25: Staff Meeting at 8:00 am
Friday, September 26: SOTM Assembly for Respect
Friday, September 26: Rosedale Skate Night 6:00-8:00 pm

Thursday, October 2: PTA Meeting 6:30 pm
Friday, October 3: Fun Walk at Churchill track in the afternoon
Monday, October 6: Data Dives in the LMC (Rotating Subs)
Tuesday, October 7: Lifetouch Pictures
Thursday, October 9: No Students/District Professional Development

No comments:

Post a Comment