Thursday, September 4, 2014

What Percentage are you Giving?

When I was in high school, I had a teacher and coach that used to say he hated it when people asked others to give 110%.  As a math teacher, it irritated him that people would expect more than was statistically possible.  In fact, he always said that he didn't even want 100% of people's energy...that wouldn't leave anything for home, other classes, or relationships.  He just said he expected people to be on time, to participate to the best of their ability, and to follow through on what they commit to and strive to be better each day.  I always thought he was being a stickler about semantics, but the older I get, the more I see where he was coming from.

This year, I was given the book, "The Power of 10%" by Deann Urso.  I had intended to skim through it and ended up reading it straight through during my lunch and then rereading it again the next day (it's a short book:). As you know, we then shared it with all of you for our first professional development session. The inspirational messages and real-life stories really struck a chord with me.  It also reminded me of my old math teacher and his aversion to asking for 100% (or more).  When I think of any significant accomplishment in my life, they really have been made by many little things that have added up over time.  A college degree is really just an accumulation of many classes that have been taken.  The things that have made me a better administrator throughout the years have really been little day to day events and experiences (both good and bad) that I can draw upon, rather than one big event.  I'm currently trying to lose weight and unlike when I was younger, I can't seem to be able to lose a large amount in a quick period of time....I have to do it little by little.  What I liked about the idea of making little changes is that there is nothing glamorous about it...it's simply giving a little more, caring a little more, listening a little more.  And when those little things add up, big changes take place!!

In education, it's not about making big gains in test scores that could fluctuate year to year, but rather about moving as a school (and a team) in the right direction.  When I think of all our school innovations like Operation Student Success, technology enhancements, and curriculum alignment, they are best implemented by making small, but meaningful changes in the way we reach out to students and improve both teaching and learning.  With busy schedules and ever-increasing work loads, I encourage each of you to start thinking small...what little thing can you do to improve your teaching, your health, your happiness.  And as your principal, I promise never to ask for 100% from you...but I may ask for 10% :)



PEARLS OF WISDOM

"The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago.  The second best time is now." - Proverb

"As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same." - Marianne Williamson

"Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever." - Margaret Cho

"Said No Teacher Ever"


UPCOMING EVENTS

Wednesday, September 10: Fire Drill in the morning
Thursday, September 11: First Staff Meeting 8:00 am
Wednesday, September 17: First Achievement Team Meeting 8:00 am
Thursday, September 18: Lock Down Drill in the afternoon
Tuesday, September 23: Tornado Drill in the morning
Wednesday, September 24: Open House 6:00-7:00 pm
                                            Curriculum Night 7:00-8:00 pm (Students in gym for show)
Friday, September 26: Rosedale Skate Night 6:00-8:00 pm
Friday, October 3: Fun Walk at Churchill track in the afternoon
Tuesday, October 7: Lifetouch Pictures
Thursday, October 9: No Students/District Professional Development

No comments:

Post a Comment