Thursday, May 14, 2015

Round Up!

As with many schools across the country and around the world, our school is hosting a kindergarten "round up" this week.  I always get a chuckle from the imagery that term conjures up of principals in cowboy outfits lassoing a group of students.  To be honest, this is one of my favorite events of the school year.  It's a chance to introduce our newest students to their school and a chance to put parents at ease and answer many of their questions.  I've developed a list of FAQs through the years and often include questions that I had as a parent when my own daughters started school.  It feels great when I see parents relax when they hear, "I know how you feel and it's going to be alright. Your child is in good hands."

One of the things that makes round up so special is that it is in complete contrast to everything else that is going on. Everywhere, students are working on their end of the year projects, teachers are planning out their final lessons, and there's a sense of "wrapping things up".  In the middle of all that comes an event where we are introducing students and parents to the school for the first time and suddenly everything is brand new.  It's like a mini first day of school in the midst of the end of the year events.  That excitement is contagious and the smiles and looks of wonder from our newest students spreads throughout the school.  It's a perfectly timed event and one that reminds us of the important work we do each day and the awesome responsibility we have in caring, nurturing, and educating someone's child.  I know parents and students benefit from the information they receive at round up, but I think in the end I get more out of it than they do as I realize how lucky I am to have this job!


photo credit: gallantfish.com

PEARLS OF WISDOM

"I think I was probably a cowboy in a past life." - Gin Wigmore

"It's easier to get an actor to be a cowboy than to get a cowboy to be an actor." - John Ford

"I was feeling real good and real manly. Until a real cowboy walked by and told me I had my hat on backwards. So much for my career as a cowboy." - Michael Biehn

UPCOMING EVENTS

Monday, May 18: Jon to Central Office for School Improvement 9:00-11:30 am
                              New Family Tour 1:30 pm
Tuesday, May 19: PBS Committee 8:05 am
Wednesday, May 20: REED (Larabell)
Thursday, May 21: Staff Meeting/School Improvement Meeting 8:00 am
                               Volunteer Tea in the LMC 2:30-3:30 pm
Friday, May 22: Bill Roberts (AXA) in the lounge in the morning

Monday, May 25: No School for Memorial Day
Thursday, May 28: Student of the Month Assembly (Synergize) 3:00 pm
                                Party for Judy M. after school in LMC
Friday, May 29: Spring Fling 6:00-8:00 pm

Monday, June 8: Field Day
                            Gathering at Genetti's Hole in the Wall 5:00-8:00 pm
Thursday, June 11: Last Day for Students 12:10 Dismissal
Friday, June 12: Last Day for Staff

Thursday, June 18: Last Day for Staff to be in building before summer cleaning







No comments:

Post a Comment