Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Synergize!

This month, our school is focusing on the habit of "synergize". We have been talking about how we can achieve more when we all work together. This habit reminded me of the positive power that can come when educators become connected with one another. I started thinking of all those that have encouraged me over the past year that I have connected with on Twitter.  I would like to give a shout out to some of those folks in this post. I've decided to use one word or phrase to describe how they have helped me in becoming a connected educator.

Ben Gilpin: START!
Ben was an inspiration to me as I started my educational blog, but I also tried to model after him on Twitter as well.  You could say he helped me get off the ground with becoming a connected educator.

MacKenzie Feldpausch: INVITE!
MacKenzie was instrumental in encouraging me not only to present at the MEMSPA (Michigan Elementary and Middle School Principals Association) conference this past year, but also invited me to blog for the MEMSPA web site as well.  What an honor to share with principals from all across the state.

Mike Domagalski: JOIN!
As a newbie to Twitter Chats, I didn't realize I could just jump in, I thought I had to be invited (similar to a conference call).  Luckily for me, Mike reached out to me and sent me an invite to join the weekly MEMSPAchat.  Later, he would even invite to be a guest facilitator.  It was my first chat to join, but not my last:)

Dave Burgess: TLAP!
For the purposes of this post, that stands for Tweet Like a Pirate:)  I read Dave's book, "Teach Like a Pirate" over winter break and couldn't put it down. It led to several blog posts on the topic and joining one of the most fun chats on Twitter.  Dave's philosophy on what education should look like matches so much of what I feel and I was humbled to have him respond to and even promote some of my thoughts I posted about his book.

Jennifer Hogan & Craig Vroom: CONTRIBUTE!
When Jennifer Hogan and Craig Vroom contacted me and asked if I would be interested in joining a blogging group, I couldn't believe it! I couldn't respond quick enough. To be able to contribute to the #CompelledTribe is truly a pleasure and honor and has connected me with many inspirational educational bloggers.

Dr. Tony Sinanis: INSPIRE!
I first "met" Tony through a presentation by Ben Gilpin, where he made a virtual appearance.  I soon started following his posts and his blog on Twitter and often feel like, "I want to try that!" or "This person really gets it!".  He has his finger on the pulse of education  and I'm happy to be connected with him.

Sandy King: ENCOURAGE!
Sandy has to  be one of the most positive people I have connected with on Twitter. She always has a positive thought to share, a reflective post, or a great idea.  Most importantly, she is always giving kudos and pats on the back to people.  It's people like Sandy that keep educators motivated to grow and learn and share!

These are just a few of the people that have encouraged me by their example and have demonstrated what can happen when we truly become connected. As educators, we all have people who inspire us and challenge us within our building and our district.  If you haven't yet, I challenge you to find others outside of your building who you may never have met in person who will inspire and challenge you. Expand your professional learning network and you'll be amazed at how you will grow and perhaps you will inspire others along the way!


photo credit: adventuresinhistoryclass.com

PEARLS OF WISDOM

"Synergy is better than my way or your way. It's our way." - Stephen Covey

"Together we are stronger, our voices louder, and the synergy of our actions more powerful." - Pierce Brosnan

"Synergy is when one plus one equals ten or a hundred, or even a thousand!" - Stephen Covey

UPCOMING EVENTS

Monday, May 25: No School for Memorial Day
Tuesday, May 26: District PBS Meeting at Central Office 1:00-3:30 (Jon and Denise)
Wednesday, May 27: Achievement Team Meeting 9:15 am
Thursday, May 28: Staff Meeting 8:00 am
                              Student of the Month Assembly (Synergize) 3:00 pm
Friday, May 29: Final Lunch with the Principal in the LMC
                         Spring Fling 6:00-8:00 pm

Monday, June 8: Field Day
                          Gathering at Genetti's Hole in the Wall 5:00-8:00 pm
Thursday, June 11: School-Wide Assembly 10:00 am
                             4th Grade Clap Out 11:45 am
                             Students Dismissed 12:10 pm
Friday, June 12: Last Day for Teachers

Thursday, June 18: Last day to be in building

No comments:

Post a Comment