Monday, May 30, 2016

Just Do It

Thank you Nike for lending your motto for this post! Earlier this year, I was approached by educator Jethro Jones from Alaska about being interviewed for his podcast The Transformative Principal . I quickly searched some of his past podcasts and saw the likes of Todd WhitakerRick Wormeli, and Tony Sinanis , people that I greatly admire in the educational field. How could I possibly contribute anything of significance that would interest listeners, especially if they had listened to published authors and national speakers? After some anxiety, I finally listened to that small voice that said, "Just do it!"

During our pre-interview, as I listed some of the things we are implementing at our school, I kept repeating to Jethro that I had borrowed this idea or stolen that or copied this. He eventually said to me, "I'm not interviewing you because you came up with these ideas, I'm interviewing you because you are DOING them." I finally stopped feeling so self conscious and just started sharing out what we are doing at the school.  As we talked, I began to get ideas of how we could improve even more. It's amazing how we can learn and grow if we take the time to reflect on what we are currently doing.

While the point of the podcast was to share out what we are doing, I think I ended up learning the most from the experience. First, that it's okay to take a leap of faith and go for it. Second, that it's not about having a lot of great ideas (or borrowing them), but in implementing them. Finally, that we ALL have something to share. You may have written a book, you may have received an award, or you may be someone like me who is just curious to learn and eager to try new things. That sense of community was so inspiring to me. I'm thankful to Jethro for making me feel a part of that community and I will carry away the lesson that he taught me. It's not the great ideas that are important, it's in the implementation where the magic happens!


PEARLS OF WISDOM

"Action is the foundational key to all success." - Pablo Picasso

"When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps." - Confucius

"The great aim of education is not knowledge but action." - Herbert Spencer



Podcast Interview Part 2: Habits of Highly Effective Kids


UPCOMING EVENTS

Wednesday, June 1: Kindergarten Round Up in the morning (Parents in the LMC, Jeanne's class in Room 18 & Tracy's class in Art Room - Morning Only).

Thursday, June 2: No Staff Meeting (I will be at Discovery Middle School until 9:30 pm to see my daughter get an award from C-Span for a video project:)
                             Staff Luncheon
                             Elementary Principals Meeting 1:00-4:30 pm

Friday, June 3: Spring Fling/Basket Raffle 6:00-8:00 pm
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wednesday, June 8: Last Day for GSRP students
                                 Student of the Month Assembly 3:00 pm (Synergize)

Thursday, June 9: Final Staff Meeting 8:00 am

Friday, June 10: Field Day 1:15-3:15 pm (recess from 3:15-3:45 pm)
                           Staff Party at Jon's house (right after work)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thursday, June 16: 10:00 am Final Assembly
                                11:40 4th Grade Clap Out
                                12:10 Dismissal



No comments:

Post a Comment