Friday, June 3, 2016

ROOTS

Sometimes I have a blog post ready to go when suddenly something unexpected happens and an idea is burning in my mind and I have to write about it immediately. This happens to be one of those weeks. Over Memorial weekend, the new series of Alex Haley's "Roots" was on television. As I watched the new series, I vividly remembered watching the original series as a child and what an impact it had on me. Watching it as an adult it had an even bigger impact on me, or at least I was better able to process and articulate the feelings it invoked. It also triggered a memory of Alex Haley visiting the community college I was attending and missing the event for some trivial thing that seemed so important at the time. It's something I have regretted for years. As I was still processing the story of Roots, I had the opportunity to sub in a kindergarten classroom the next morning. Watching the students interact with one another, I felt that I had to write about my thoughts of where we have been as a nation, where we are, and where we are going.

One of the strengths of our school (and our country) is our diversity. We have 15 different countries represented and nearly as many languages and cultures. It's not uncommon to have several different countries represented at a single classroom table. As I watched the kindergarten students interact with one another, I was filled with pride and wonder at how well they treated one another, seemingly unaware of any differences in race, culture, or language.  They were just "kids" to one another. How they treated one another seemed to be the only factor in whether or not they would play together. Oh, how adults can learn from children! 

As an educator, I used that lens to reflect on where we are since the first time I watched Roots. Since that time, so many things have happened. We've had significant growth in our awareness of racial issues in our country and we've had many tragedies due to race. We've had people working side by side and we've had people tear one another down due to race. As I watch Roots on television and think that we now have our first African-American president, I think "We have come so far!" And then when I see acts of violence and racism in our country I think, "How far we still have to go!" One thing is certain, if we all behaved a little more like the kindergarten students I worked with this week, the world would be a kinder and gentler place for all.


PEARLS OF WISDOM

"When you start about family, about lineage and about ancestry, you are talking about every person on earth." - Alex Haley

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." - Fredrick Douglass

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the one's we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek." - Barack Obama

Trailer for the new series (2 minutes) 

UPCOMING EVENTS

Monday, June 6: Celebrate Monday Assembly 9:05-9:25 am
                           Jon to Central Office for Evaluation Meeting 12:30 pm
Tuesday, June 7: "Super Be" Recess hosted by Jon & Denise 3:05-3:30 pm
Wednesday, June 8: IEP (Limberg/Casucci) 8:20 am
                                 Student of the Month Assembly 3:00 pm (Synergize)
Thursday, June 9: Final Staff Meeting 8:00 am
Friday, June 10: Field Day 1:15-3:15 pm (Recess immediately after)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monday, June 13: Celebrate Monday Assembly 9:05-9:25 am
Tuesday, June 14: Grades entered by midnight
Thursday, June 16: Farewell Assembly (Music by Pato & Principal Awards) 10:00 am
                              4th Grade Clap Out 11:40 am
                              All Students Dismissed 12:10 pm

Building will be open through Tuesday, June 21 for teachers.  





No comments:

Post a Comment