Thursday, March 30, 2017

Captain's Blog

Anyone who has watched Star Trek knows that the episodes usually begin with the captain's log. It's an audio journal from the captain explaining the current mission and the events that led up to it. Often throughout the episode, narration continues from the captain's log to share his thoughts, intuitions, and even mistakes during the mission. The logs are used to document the mission details, but also provides a way for the captain to reflect on what happened and learn from experiences. A captain's log is not an invention of Star Trek, but its use in the series provides a wonderful model for leaders who want to document their learning and growth and also share their learning with others. In many ways, my weekly blog is my version of the captain's log.

When I started my blogging journey a few years ago, it was to communicate with my staff in a more dynamic manner. Not long later, I began to feel more comfortable sharing what I've learned, what I believe, and even mistakes I've made. Sometime later, I was invited to join the #CompelledTribe of bloggers where I connected with educators from across the country. This group has pushed and challenged my thinking with their own blog posts. Most recently, my posts have helped me formulate ideas for presentations at conferences and training sessions.

Years ago, I shared some Leadership Lesson from Captain Kirk. In addition to his other leadership traits I could have added reflection through logging (or blogging). John Dewey made the observation that "We do not learn from experience...we learn from reflecting on experience." I believe this to be true and what better way to reflect than by blogging about experience. It's like a digital portfolio that we can record our growth with and share with others. Blogging is not for the faint of heart, but if you're ready to reflect, share, and grow with others, it can be a powerful tool. It's certainly helped me grow as an educator and even provides some humor if read in my very best Captain Kirk voice full of dramatic pauses! :)

PEARLS OF WISDOM

"I changed the conditions of the test. I don't like to lose." - Captain James Kirk

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem." - Captain Jack Sparrow

"What would the world be like without Captain Hook?" - Captain James Hook

"Every Opportunity" (4 minutes)

GREAT EDUCATORS TO FOLLOW ON TWITTER





Jon Harper












Jethro Jones






UPCOMING EVENTS

Monday, April 3 - Friday, April 7: Spring Break

Tuesday, April 11: Jon to Buchanan for 2nd & 3rd student visits from Cass 8:30-10:00 am
                               Jon to Cass for PTA Meeting 7:00 pm
Wednesday, April 12: Achievement Team (Nadon/Fuller) 8:20 am
                                    Principals to Board Office for 5D Training 8:00-10:30 am
                                    REED (Boggs) 3:15 pm 
Thursday, April 13: Staff Meeting 8:05 am
                                Elementary Principals Meeting at Riley 1:00-4:30 pm 
                                PTA Meeting (Nominations) 6:30 pm
Friday, April 14: No School

Wednesday, April 19: Achievement Team (K Retentions) 8:20 am
                                    Jon to Buchanan for K & 1st student visits from Cass 8:30-10:00 am
Thursday, April 20: Staff Meeting 8:05 am
                                Elementary Principals Meeting 1:00-4:30 pm
                                PTA Mother/Son Night at Zap Zone
Tuesday, April 25: 2nd Grade Talking Zoo
                               Youth Making a Difference Ceremony at Franklin HS 6:00-8:00 pm 

No comments:

Post a Comment