Sunday, April 9, 2017

Recharging the Batteries

This week, our #CompelledTribe of bloggers are focusing on Spring Break. Specifically, how we used that time to become better leaders. While I did read a book on leadership, Lead Like a Pirate (#LeadLAP) by Shelley Burgess and Beth Houf, I spent most of my time doing nothing. Yes, nothing. I followed the adventures of many friends who posted pictures of tropical vacations on social media, I hosted several teenagers as my daughters both had sleepovers, I walked the dog when the weather was nice and did some small house projects. My calendar was left empty, my alarm turned off, and my days came and went without a schedule. I spent the time doing what I so rarely do... recharging the batteries. 

Interestingly, one of the final sections of Lead Like a Pirate was titled "Rest..Like a Pirate". Now, I don't traditionally think of (educational) pirates resting. I think of them in full action, swinging into battle to fight mediocrity, searching for the treasure of student success, and sailing  into uncharted seas through risk taking. I was reminded of the old saying, "we can't pour from an empty cup". This section really hit home to me as I rarely take time to do nothing. However, as I thought about it, I wasn't doing nothing. I was taking time to rest, spending time with family, and focusing on my well being. My friend, Dan Tricarico  (The Zen Teacher) would be proud!

As educators, we are usually spending our time helping others or planning how we can best help others. It's okay to give ourselves permission to take care of our needs too. When we are happy and healthy, it's easier to help others. When we are focused, it's easier to help others find their focus. When we are recharged and refreshed, it's easier to live out our passion of helping each child succeed. As someone who has a spouse who doesn't get a spring break, it makes me realize how fortunate we are as educators to have the gift of time to relax and recharge before the final push of the busy school year. Use your time wisely and don't ever feel guilty for focusing on your needs. Your students need you and they need you at your best! 



Photo Credit: USB Phone World

PEARLS OF WISDOM from "Lead Like a Pirate"

"Leaders become great, not because of their power, but because of their ability to empower others." - John Maxwell

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten." - Anthony Robbins

"Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." - Roald Dahl

I've shared this before, but worth revisiting. (Never Give Up! - 3 minutes)

GREAT EDUCATORS TO FOLLOW ON TWITTER





Shelley Burgess












Beth Houf






UPCOMING EVENTS 

Monday, April 10: Celebrate Monday Assembly 9:05 am
Tuesday, April 11: Jon to Buchanan for Cass student visits 8:30-11:30 am
                              Jon to Cass PTA 7:00 pm
Wednesday, April 12: Achievement Team Meeting 8:20 (Nadon/Fuller)
                                   Principal 5D Training at Central Office 8:00-10:30 am
                                   REED 3:15 pm (Boggs)
Thursday, April 13: Staff Meeting 8:05 am 
                                Elementary Principals to Riley for School Improvement 1:00-4:00 pm
                                Rosedale PTA Meeting 6:30 pm (Nominations)
Friday, April 14: No School

Monday, April 17: Celebrate Monday Assembly 9:05 am
Wednesday, April 19: Achievement Team (Kindergarten Team) 8:20 am
                                   Jon to Buchanan for Cass student visits 8:30-11:30 am
                                   ABC Negotiations 1:30 pm 
Thursday, April 20: Staff Meeting 8:05 am
                                 Elementary Principal Meeting 1:00-4:30 pm 

Tuesday, April 25: 2nd Grade Talking Zoo
                               Youth Making a Difference Ceremony at Franklin HS 6:00-8:00 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment