Sunday, April 16, 2017

A Birthday Gift

One of my favorite things about having a summer birthday is that I never have to work to on my special day. Even when summer events come up related to the school, I can often work around that time. Also, because it's close to a holiday, I often am traveling to northern Michigan where I can visit with friends and family during my birthday week. It's a time of relaxation, having fun, and celebration. I often get to dine at my favorite restaurant, see a movie that I've been waiting for, and the family (even two teenagers) do whatever dad wants. It's all about me for the day.

This past weekend, I had the pleasure to volunteer at the annual Rotary Easter Egg Hunt. As a Rotarian, it's one of my favorite events of the year. Nearly 1,000 children come from the surrounding area to play in the park, meet the Easter Bunny, and search for plastic eggs that are later redeemed for bags of candy. My family has been working this event for the past three years and it's such a kick to see the smiles and the excitement the event brings to families. This year, the event was coordinated and led by Rotarian Dave. I know Dave through Rotary, but he also is an Early Literacy Volunteer (or ELV) at my school. As coordinator, he arrived very early in the morning to set up the event. He went through the park and picked up stray branches and liter that had made its way onto the grounds. He designated food areas, registration tables, and set up informational booths for families to get involved in Rotary and community events. He coordinated the workers as they arrived and greeted families. When the time came, he helped distribute candy to the families. When the families had left, he cleaned up the area and put away all our items and signed service forms for high school students that had volunteered. He then proceeded to the Methodist Children's Home and gave the extra candy to the children there. It was a long day of service and making children happy. It also happened to be his birthday.

I often say that I get more than give when I volunteer at events. This weekend, I learned something from my friend Dave. He had spent his special day making others feel special. He had spent his day of celebration lifting others up. He had spent his day giving gifts rather than receiving them. And he was as happy as anyone I had ever seen on their birthday. I learned from his example that less of "all about me" and more of "all about others" is the way to true happiness. It was just another birthday gift that my friend Dave gave that day!

Dave and a friend at Rotary Park! 

PEARLS OF WISDOM

"The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Mahatma Gandhi

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth." - Muhammad Ali 

"I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy." - Rabindranath Tagore

GREAT EDUCATORS TO FOLLOW ON TWITTER





















UPCOMING EVENTS 

Monday, April 17: Celebrate Monday Assembly 9:05 am 
                             Secretary Interviews at Central Office 4:00-6:00 pm 
                             PTSA Meet the Board Event 6:30 pm 
Tuesday, April 18: Secretary Interviews at Central Office 4:00-6:00 pm 
Wednesday, April 19: Achievement Team with Kindergarten Team 8:20 am
                                  Jon to Buchanan for student visits (grades K&1) 8:30-11:00 am
                                  ABC Negotiations at Central Office 1:00 pm 
Thursday, April 20: Building PD session 7:50-8:50 am (5D Evaluations)
                              Elementary Principals Meeting 1:00-4:30 pm 
                              Mother-Son Event at Zap Zone 6:00-9:00 pm

Monday, April 24: Celebrate Monday Assembly 9:05 am
Tuesday, April 25: 2nd Grade Talking Zoo in the gym
                             YMAD Awards Assembly at Franklin High School 6:00-8:00 pm
Wednesday, April 26: REED (Benson) 8:20 am
Thursday, April 27: Staff Meeting 8:05 am

No comments:

Post a Comment